Drew continues to do as well as can be expected. He has dropped from 20 breaths per minute on the vent to 10, as of 10am this morning. They want him down to 5 breaths per minute and handling it well before they extubate. Last night was long, but good. Bill and I took turns with him and subsequently, turns sleeping. I got about 4 hrs all in all, so that was good. I never thought I would sleep so well in a hospital waiting room, but I guess being up nearly 24 hrs will help you with that!
Drew had to be given a Versed (sedative) drip last night because even though he was receiving Morphine, he was agitated and moving around a lot. His wrists have soft restraints on them, which he is NOT a fan of. Also, he was not a fan of his pressure cuff on his leg, so that was removed this morning. He didn't want a blanket on him at all, and would kick until it was off, and then be still. After about the 3rd time he did this, we all caught on that it was necessarily pain related, but irritation at the blanket. His core temp has been good throughout, so we are just letting him be. He has his "wubzy" (a blanket with an animal head) on his chest keeping that warm. His urine output slowed a bit, so they put him on Lasix. Also, his chest tube is continuing to drain, but less and less and not as thick as before. Starting to lighten up.
Bill and I are at home right now, showering and resting a bit. Grandma and Grandpa Brown are holding down the fort until Grandpap Calvano and Grandma Lorie arrive, along with Aunt Suzanne. We will head back in the early afternoon. If all goes according to plan, Drew will be weaned completely this afternoon abd start feedings after that.
Thank you for your continued prayers. We know they are helping Drew!
15 years later
1 year ago








1 comment:
Drew's going to be soooo fine in a matter of days; Andre had very similar experiences, we clued on that he needed additional pain med. The poor babies, if only they could tell us that they're in pain at that age! They inspire me every day what they've been through in such a little amount of time. Andre was lasix for a few more weeks after discharge, slowly weaning him off it. I'm praying for you three.
Post a Comment