I am sure there are people out there who still wonder what us SAHMs do all day. Do we all sit on the couch eating bon-bons and watching soaps? No and Yes. While I do sneak in my favorite soap at some point during the day (thanks to our DVR), I certainly don't sit on my couch all afternoon, eating and watching TV....although, some days, I find myself eating more than I should just because it's around, but that's a post for another time. So, I thought I would post about a "typical" day in my life. I put that word in quotes because, as any parent of a toddler will tell you, no two days are the same.
In any case, I approach each day like I would any job. I have certain responsibilities and tasks that need to get done and I have to figure out how to make it all work. So, aside from the obvious (raising and caring for my son), my job is to take care of the house, and also work and run my chapter of IMH ... every day. I am by no means an expert, I am very much a work in progress, but I am learning every day how to make it all work. If I think back on my days as a new Mom, had I had more confidence and felt less stressed out, I would've been WAAAAAY more productive as Drew basically ate and slept all day. Now, he's a tornado and into everything, and needs structured play that I must be involved with (activities, etc), and requires outdoor time when the weather cooperates and only naps once/day usually. This seriously cuts into my time to get all the other things done in a day that must get done.
So, since they must still be done, I have to be organized and plan. Borrowing (read:stealing) from those who have it much more together than I do, I have implemented daily tasks for myself. Thus, in addition to what Drew needs, I also have specific chores to do, emails to answer, conference calls to attend, meals to make, errands to run and business to attend to. Oh, and I have to bathe at some point. I try really hard to NOT stay up until very late at night, or else I am dragging the next day, but I also run around 8pm on the nights I run. SO, I also have to plan around this.
Of course, right now, I am sitting here writing this post. Not the BEST use of my time, but considering I've already made breakfast, dressed my son, played with him, put him down for a nap (he's sick) vacuumed my whole house, cleaned the floors, dusted AND put dinner in the crock pot to cook, I think it's OK. Next up on my list, bathing (I know, I know), making lunch and cleaning the bathroom. Then, this afternoon, I will play some more with Drew and wait on a phone call to discuss IMH matters. In addition, I will plan for my Thirty-One table at a Mom2Mom sale this weekend, answer emails and finish up dinner. Tonight, I will go running and work when I get home.
Am I busier than I've ever been in my life? Absolutely! Would I change a thing? Absolutely not!
15 years later
1 year ago








1 comment:
You are absolutely right- you have to approach it as a "regular" job in order to not feel like a chicken with your head cut off! This transition has bee harder than I realized...thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment