Sunday, January 24, 2010

Crazy Thoughts

As I have been cleaning my house today, I have been thinking. I love me a clean house...LOVE IT...but I hate to clean! I also hate clutter (s0mething that seems unavoidable these days as I run IMH and my business out of my already cramped house), but I hate to clean. What to do? Well, I clean because I need to, I have to. I get very overwhelmed when things aren't tidy and are out of order, but it seems to be a constant state in my house (well, in two rooms - the spare room where all my IMH stuff is, and the basement, where we store everything we aren't currently using). I started cleaning out the basement this summer, but with little help (AHEM!), I quickly gave up as 75% of the remaining items belonged to a certain someone else. So, that's back on the list for this winter, especially since we're supposed to be redoing our kitchen and that will involve reworking some plumbing and electrical components downstairs, thus making this organization of all said junk a priority. So, that would just leave the spare room ... and the constant need to dust, sweep and vacuum...

So, here's one crazy thought ... if I can have a steady income each month from Thirty-One, I hire a cleaning lady to come in once/month and deep clean. What do you all think? Yay or Nay? I think that having someone to come in once/month to get down to the real nitty gritty with things will make the day to day and week to week cleaning a bit easier on me. Am I kidding myself? I don't know. I do know that shaving my dog or corraling my child any further than I already do are NOT options. And if I add one more day of cleaning to my already cramped schedule of cleaning, I think I might scream. Loudly. To be honest, I don't mind cleaning up Mega Blocks 3x/day, because I can get Drew involved, but when I am wielding Lysol Wipes or Dusting Polish, that's another story. Although, Drew DOES help when I use the microfiber sweeper...it's SO cute. But, he runs from the vacuum. And this brings me to my next crazy thought ...

I buy a Dyson vacuum cleaner. On sale. At Kohl's. I know, I know, I only have an area rug and our bedroom to vacuum, but with Maggie, it's a nightmare to keep clean. I NEED something made for pet hair. It also doesn't help that our P.O.C vacuum cleaner is on it's last leg either. It stinks up the room, doesn't pull up hair even when I use our Arm & Hammer stuff, and causes me to have to vacuum at least 3x/week to keep a modicum of cleanliness in our living room. That is just ridiculous when I live in a 1000 sq ft home that is mostly hardwood. So, a Dyson sounds pretty nice about now. Again, I ask, Yay or Nay?

And with that, I must return to my neverending quest to keep my house clean. Maybe some day we can actually move on to getting household projects done ... *sigh* Yes, that's one of my goals for 2010, to stop procrastinating the big projects. I'll keep you posted on whether we say "bye bye" our disaster of a basement, as well as welcome a new, stunning, stylish (and functional!) kitchen. I am hoping both will happen by 2011.

3 comments:

Rachelle said...

I feel like all I ever do is pickup books & clean the kitchen. :-p
But I do love me a clean house!

Christy Berriman-Sauve said...

Mary, I have my 3.5 year old twins and 2 yellow labs. I also have someone who comes and cleans every two weeks and a dyson. They are both invaluable!!! There have been times I have cancelled the cleaning service for a couple of months to save money, and I have gone back every time. It is worth it to me to sacrifice in other areas to have the peace of mind of a clean house. So I guess I say yay! :)

Stephanie said...

I also LOVE a clean house but hate to clean! I say "yay" to the cleaning service. If I could do that, I would! :)