Friday, January 22, 2010

TGIF!!

Really, in the life of a SAHM, is any day really that different that I must thank God for it? Yes! Fridays mean one day 'til my partner in crime (aka:my husband) rejoins me on the homefront, offering backup so I may run to the ladies room, cuddles when I must send an email to my IMH ladies, adult presence so I may go running during the day (and thus, without fear of being chastized by Moms who think I am 15 for running in all black...at night...on a side road). So, TGIF it is for me today!!!

Oh, and did I mention running? Yes...I am officially on my way to becoming a runner! That's so not the old Mary...the old Mary would've gladly hit the weights, hit a Pilates class, a swim class, a Yoga class...ANYTHING but running. Running was torture in my opinion, from the earliest days of sports training on. But, on a cold day in October, all that changed. There I was, at the Big House Big Heart Race and I thought to myself, "wow, running looks like fun!" And then, I had one of those moments where I thought..."Did I just think that?!" "Who am I?" It created a identity crisis for a moment, until I realized that running DOES look like fun. And it is...it truly is FUN. I am doing a program called Couch to 5K, and it's really interval training. This is my second week on the program and, so far, it seems to be pretty easy. Of course, my friend and I had been speed walking for a couple of months prior to beginning the program, and essentially the beginning of it is just alternating between running (jogging) and brisk walking. Next week starts more of the running piece and I am excited for it! I should be able to RUN the next 5K I am in and that makes me excited! I should be able to run safely when I am pregnant with our next cherub and that makes me excited too! I am hopeful that after that baby comes, I can start back up the program and eventually, run a 10K and maybe even a Half Marathon at some point. A girl can dream ... ;)

So, goal #1 is definitely underway...I am slowly, but surely, getting back in shape. TGIF indeed, because tomorrow brings more running...in the daylight...with less opportunity to be cursed out by angry drivers who want to speed down residential streets. Maybe I should look into some reflection tape ...

4 comments:

Katie Fortier said...

Congrats on starting the running!! I have done the same and plan on running a half marathon in May!! Keep up the good work!! It seems like all us moms get bit by that runnning bug!!

Krista said...

Girl be careful out there! Drivers are crazy! But it sounds like you're doing fabulous! I kind of want to go running now tomorrow after reading this... Thanks for the inspiration!

Heather said...

Yeah! Running is so rewarding and I am also working on getting back into it! Keep us up to date on your training :)

Catherine Anne said...

Beautiful little one