I know this post might spark some controversy, and that is fine...I welcome it. This would be a pretty boring world if we all had the same opinions.
I am just sick to my stomach after reading of ANOTHER family who chose to terminate their son who had been diagnosed with HLHS. I blame the inaccurate and scary information that is circulating out there on non-medical websites, medical staff pushing termination on overwhelmed and scared parents and the fact that abortion is thought of as acceptable in our society for this problem. Yes, I am Christian, and thus, in my opinion, only God can choose when to give and when to take life. Who's to say which lives are worthwhile and which aren't? Not us. There is no such thing as "perfect." And isn't it scary to think that some people are so hung up on that ideal?
I feel for these families, truly I do. How scared must one be to think that causing your child to die is a better alternative than surgery? Yes, surgery is scary ... and as the parent in the situation, I can tell you, it's a heck of a lot scarier for us than for them. And that's why I can't understand people who choose to terminate. It's not because I think they don't love their child or I don't see that they honestly believe they're doing the right thing ... I think maybe they are scared of facing the surgery themselves and have fooled themselves into thinking this is actually better for their child. They are scared of the unknown, they are allowing themselves to be persuaded into decisions that cause the death of their own child, and the medical community sometimes preys on this vulnerability. And let's face it, in our society, these parents are hailed as the brave ones and those who choose surgery, etc, for their children are sometimes painted as selfish. Every choice (and by this I mean the choice between compassionate care and surgery) is personal and parents should do what THEY feel is best for their child and situation. But for people to think termination is an acceptable choice in light of the other options available these days, is unfathomable to me.
I wish I could be in every fetal ECHO with pictures of complex CHD kids who are happy, healthy and leading *normal* lives ... or at every high risk OB's office with pictures of children who, while still in-utero, their parents were told any number of scary stories and yet, they were born perfectly healthy. You're talking about going through the mother to see the baby ... it's an imperfect science. And until the baby is actually here, no one can tell you with 100% certainty what kind of life that child may lead. And even then, there are many babies who defy the odds daily. Complex CHDs are NOT a death sentence.
If you are of the same mindset as I am on this issue, I ask that you please pray for these families and these precious little ones gone too soon.
15 years later
1 year ago








6 comments:
This is such a difficult topic. When our 4th child was diagnosed with HLHS and other problems, we had already been through one open heart surgery with our 3rd child. Prior experience with CHD did not make our baby's diagnosis easier. We were terrified.
Abortion was absolutely not an option for us, but it was still incredibly difficult to decide on comfort care vs. palliative surgeries. We prayed so much and really had to take our steps with blind faith. To this day, I am so grateful for the caregivers who voiced their absolute support of any decision that we made. It was through their efforts and the grace of God that we were able to enjoy the year we had with our daughter.
I hope every parent has that same unwavering support.
Thank you Ruth for posting. I read your story after I saw your girls on the CHD Babies site. I pray for all parents to have the same support you received as well.
Mary,
Head over to my blog... I awarded you the HeartFelt Blogger Award!
With LOTS of Hope, Love, and, Faith,
Lauren (22yr. old w/Tricuspid Atresia aka HRHS)
Blog: www.laurensheart.blogspot.com
I just came accross your blog through Lauren's, and as I read this post it really struck a chord. I found out 22 weeks into my preganancy that my son Braeden would have a very serious heart condition(HLHS)and the doctor tried to convince my husband and I that terminating the preganacy was the best choice we could make for our son. It is hard for me to understand why some people make that choice...to this day I shudder to think how many other people are probably told the same things?
It is so important to continue to educate the medical community about CHD's, so that they will be better equiped to offer a little hope. Glad to see that you have started the Michigan Chapter of IMH. I think that I saw one of the brochures at our cardiology appt. a few weeks ago :)I look forward to following your blog...
Feel free to visit our blog:
http://braedensheartjourney.blogspot.com/
(It's mostly my poems, but I am getting the hang of writing updates too)
This breaks my heart. I don't know what else to say.
WHAT???? are you serious? I too was told to abort Collin, but this was not by a heart cardiologist but just a Ob high risk doctor, I was like are you serious? Wow, could not even imagine aborting any fetus....Some people. Let me know who this person is, I will let her know that it is not an easy road, but def, one worth taking!
Post a Comment