Wednesday, November 11, 2009

2009 IMH Officers Retreat

I just got back from a long weekend in Livingston, TX (outside of Houston) at a retreat for all officers in It's My Heart. Wow. That's all I can say. No words I could write could possibly do justice to how amazing the weekend was. First of all, to spend time with other officers and get to know them face to face was amazing and secondly, to be together with people who "get" you is just priceless. We were able to come together, discuss our hopes and our fears for our kids, our vision for IMH locally and nationally, and also, cut loose and enjoy each other's company! No one understands a CHD parent like another CHD parent. It's the same for cancer, etc, you have to go through it to "get it." We had many beautiful moments remembering our angels and talking about our warriors ... and how it's their strength and their struggles that keep us going.

When I left home, I was nervous to be away for such a long time and so far away...but once I set foot down in Houston and met up with Katy, Jim and Scott, I knew this weekend was going to be awesome. And I was so thankful I had the means and the opportunity to be there. We stayed in a campsite called Cho Yeh...it was really a breathtakingly beautiful location. We even saw a doe run across the road right by us. The weather was fantastic...75-80 every day and sunny!!! This northern girl was very pleased. The cabins pretty great too. I am not a girly-girl, but I don't "rough it" very well either ... especially when it comes to bathrooms. No worries there, we had bathrooms and showers in our cabin and they were nice.

Although I chickened out on the rock wall and high ropes course, which is disappointing to me, I got a new perspective on this fight we're all facing from those right there on the front lines with me. I became invigorated and renewed my determination to help lead the way in this fight. I saw how fearless adult survivors of CHD can be, and that's what I want for Drew. I saw how amazing and strong CHD parents are. I became even more certain that God blessed me with Drew for many reasons; aware of how blessed I am that he has the CHDs he has and how blessed we are for his relative good health. While some might look at this as a curse, I choose to see it as a blessing. I am blessed to be Drew's Mommy and blessed to be in this fight with such amazing people.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man...I saw your photos of the rock wall/ropes stuff and thought, "oh, cool, she got to do all that". I love that stuff. We did something like that once when I was on the AmeriCorps staff. I know it's not for everyone, though. Seems like a great weekend.

Suzanne

Stephanie said...

Mary, I'm so glad to hear that you had such a beautiful and inspiring weekend. And I completely agree that no one else can truly understand you except someone else who's walked the similiar or same path. What a blessing that you were able to connect with so many others who understand! Your dedication and passion and love and faith are all very evident, and very inspiring. Keep sharing! I'm so looking forward to our paths crossing... :)