Thursday, November 12, 2009

And the winner is ...

ME!

*Ahem* ... I'd like to thank Chrysler for making doors that mysteriously lock even though you haven't hit any buttons, my ongoing preggo brain that I never thought I would still have nearly 18 months later, cold weather and being in a rush ... without all of you, surely I would not have received this award.

I am, of course, talking about the "Mom of the Year" award.

What spectacular moment of exemplary modeling of perfect parenting transpired to make me earn such a distinction?

Welllllll ... you see ...

This morning, I took my son to a friend's house to grab blankets for the heart babies at Mott from her husband. We were stopping there on our way to drop him off at my other friend's so I could go meet with the Child Life Specialist at Mott and deliver the blankets and our IMH comfort bags.

Seeing as it was:

a) in the mid-40s
b) only going to be a second
and
c) my car was only 5 feet away from me in the driveway

I decided to leave Drew in the car ... with it running ... and shut the door securely behind me.

This was going to end badly, I just didn't know it at the time.

Sure enough, upon returning to my car all of 2 minutes later, I discovered all the doors had somehow locked. My keys snug in the ignition, my cell phone tucked safely in my bag, my son securely fastened in his carseat.

Sheepishly, I made my way back up the stairs to the front door and asked my friend's husband to borrow his phone. Mind you, I do not know him all that well, so that was adding to my shame and humiliation as the number of things he must've been thinking ran through my head.

I then proceeded to stalker call my husband until he answered the call from this unknown, different area code number. And, in my panic, I rambled off some instructions to him and almost hung up the phone until I realized, he has no idea where the heck I am! So, I slowed down and spoke clearly.

And about 10 - 15 minutes later, which seemed like an hour to me, my hero drove up the driveway and rescued our son ... who by this point was screaming.

So, I accept this award on behalf on Moms everywhere ... it's just one more thing we'll do in our lives that we swore, pre-child, could never possibly happen to us.

*sigh*

6 comments:

Wodzisz Family said...

Sadly I have been there as well. In my case I had to borrow my sitters car to go home and get my spare keys then go back to her house to get my son out of my locked car. Of course I am pretty sure he is also the one that locked to door to begin with!

Confessions From A Work-At-Home Mom said...

LOL, Poor Mary! I know this could so easily be me. Just be happy you did this (A) when it wasn't 90 degrees outside and (B) with the car running so Drew was at least safe and sound inside!

~Elizabeth

Sasha@ Blyssfulhealth said...

Well oh my gosh that sounds like a crazy day and one that I would have. I love this post and how you are makin fun of a bad situation. We always need a little humour right? Anyways glad everything worked out and that everyone is okay.

Meredith said...

Hi there :) Been there done that as well. Last summer, I had just pulled into my garage and was running in to grab something. I gave O my keys to hold while I ran inside. Hmm.. well, she found the lock button on the remote. Then realized my spare key was in my purse.. in the car. I had to call a locksmith to get in MY own car, in MY garage, and to rescue MY daughter who had put herself to sleep by screaming. :( Yes, we all pass on that award!

ALI said...

eek! Glad all ended well.. Hugs!!!

As for your award, um, I think J may have caused me to tie-you for it this past weekend...

I went on a quick bathroom run, came back... There was my son - ON the kitchen table grabbing the hot light bulb.

Luckily, my "Jacob Matthew!" scared him from actually touching it.

Ashley said...

Oh Mary, we ALL have those days... I'm glad Bill was able to get to you in 15 minutes. If that were Dan and I, I would have a 45-50 minute wait!