Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Shortcomings

My original title for this post was "Failings," but that has such a negative connotation, doesn't it? So, I changed it.

I write a lot about my life being more fulfilled now than ever before. And this is true. But, I would be remiss if I didn't mention the fact that I struggle in a couple of areas. And through my shortcomings, I let down both myself and those close to me.

There are two main areas in which I need to improve ~

Taking time out for ME

and

Making time for my friends and extended family

Carving out time for myself used to be easy...pre Drew. I didn't have as much of an issue leaving Bill to go walking, or read upstairs, visit with friends, or what have you. But since Drew, I feel like I should be cherishing every moment I have with him. First of all, because I am fortunate enough to have him here, healthy and happy, but also because he will grow up before I know it and I will be mad at myself for missing out on my time with him. What I am realizing, however, is that I need to replenish my well in order to be the kind of Mom Drew deserves. I can't just run on fumes and be that type of Mom. And so, I must schedule time to work out, to sit and relax (I am serious), and to go out and have fun. Most of my "going out time" now revolves around IMH and/or Thirty-One. Don't get me wrong, I truly love my time with both organizations, but I need "Mary time" too. I am sure many of the Moms reading this are laughing to themselves...and they're right...what is "me time" anyway? Most of us Moms barely have time to go to the bathroom without our sweet angels busting in on us, a look of pride coming over their faces as they yell out "Momma" and rush to hug us as we, ahem, take care of business. But, it's important that we carve out even just 5 minutes for ourselves daily. This is a big shortcoming for me...and one I must improve upon to be the kind of person my friends and family need in their lives

Making time for my friends and extended family ...phew. I have MAJOR shortcomings when it comes to this. I am afraid to admit how bad I have been with this lately. I see the phone as a business tool, and so I don't really use it outside of that anymore. A lot of my day to day communication with friends and family revolves emailing or texting. How freaking impersonal is that?!? But it is what it is. I know that many of us are busy, and this seems a logical choice to get a message out or an "I'm thinking of you" when what they need is a phone call, a trip to get coffee, something more personal. I have become so focused on my immediate, my core, family that I often overlook my extended family and friends. And that is unfortunate...and unfair. I feel like for all the good I do, if I am not giving back to those who are important to me, it's all for nothing. So, this is something I MUST improve upon. And hopefully, by creating more time for me to regroup and reenergize, this will come naturally.

And there you have it ... my struggles and shortcomings. I think in order to know where we want to go and what we want to see happen in our lives, we need to know what we need to do to get there. I cannot be successful with IMH, raising CHD Awareness, being a wife and mom, or my business if I do not replenish my well or support those who support me. Plain and simple.

3 comments:

Confessions From A Work-At-Home Mom said...

Gosh, I think I could have written this. I struggle with this all the time, especially because I'm at work 50 hours a week. When I get home, I feel like I should devote every single second with G... which means other very important people in my life get overlooked. It's a tough balance. If you figure out a solution, pass it on to me!

~Elizabeth

Stefenie said...

All of us moms struggle with this. You have to be unselfish in order to be a good mom but sometimes we take it a little too far and forget about "our" needs. Guilty as charged here!! I'm still trying to find the right balance and there are some days where I am running on fumes...but I know that these days won't last forever. Some day it will just be me and my husband and we will be wishing we had those crazy, busy, kid filled days back.

Stef, Ryan, Wyatt and Logan
http://www.whenlifehandsyouabrokenheart.blogspot.com

Jodi said...

Wow, I could have written this too!!!! If you figure out how to squeeze more hours into the day or freeze time so your little one still gets all of your time but others can have some too, can you please let me know?