Thursday, August 27, 2009

15 Month Appt

Yesterday, I took Drew in for his 15 Month Appointmet at the Pediatrician's Office. He's doing great overall, his stats at a glance:


Weight = 28lbs 3oz (90%)

Height = 30 1/4 in (25%)


You got it...he's short and stout. hee hee Clothes are a nightmare though and are only going to get worse when he has to wear pants. Who has ever heard of hemming a toddler's pants?! Well, I am going to have to! It's the only way he'll be properly dressed from late fall - winter. Unless Bill's height genes kick in...


Poor guy got 3 shots yesterday: DTaP, Flu (because of H1N1 not being available and his compromised cardiac system) and the "dreaded" MMR. Yes, I chose to put Drew on the vaccination schedule recommended by the AAP. Not because I like torturing my child, in fact I hate it, but because I believe in vaccinating him against all these potentially fatal diseases that had been all but eradicated. I was hoping to stave off the MMR until 18 months, but I trust our Pediatrician. She's younger and has two small boys, both of whom are regularly vaccinated. Plus, with Drew's CHDs, I really want him to be kept up to date.

Anyway, he's anticipating shots now, so the Nurse started washing her hands..and he inched closer to me. She came over to him and started rubbing his leg with alcohol, he started screaming and clinging to me. I felt awful. She had forgotten the flu shot, because our Pediatrician put it in a different spot, so she had to come back with that. He had calmed down shortly after the MMR was given, well, when she came back in and approached him again, he started climbing up my body and screaming again. *sigh* And I feel bad for the Nurses too since they're the ones who get the screaming all day long.

So, that's the latest from here. Still waiting on word back from the insurance company regarding the microarray. In the meantime, we're enjoying the last bit of summer...taking walks, going out with friends, and getting ready for vacation!

2 comments:

Mom 2 André said...

You wrote exactly what I would have written about the shots. Sometimes I feel like screaming, enough "already with poking my child!!!!", but I know it's for his best also. I'm glad to hear that Drew is doing well overall. As for the rest, I pray that everything will go well for him. I know it will. Enjoy the rest of this summer we have left...fall is around the corner, we can feel it here in the morning. Hang in there mamma! You're doing a great job!! Big hugs to you :)

TheSweetOne said...

I hear you about the clothing challenges. My son was VERY chubby as an infant and toddler. I ended up buying 24 month shorts which fit perfect as pants. Now my daughter is wearing them. Probably the only thing of his that actually fit her and are season appropriate! With shots, she doesn't wait to see the needles before freaking out. She freaks out as soon as the pediatrician comes through the door!