Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Article from The Wall Street Journal

Here is an article that discusses the disparity between pediatric care and adult care when it comes to cardiology and cardiovascular surgery. Cardiology is a relatively young field, only having come about in the early 1900s, with Pediatric Cardiology being even younger, the first procedures taking place in the 1940s. There is more money in treating adults, which is part of the reason why pediatrics is way behind, in all things, not just Cardiology. It's a disgrace. There are approximately 40,000 children born every year with CHD, and only 36,000 live to see their first birthday. That's 4,000 too few. We need to make children's health a priority in this country!!! Of course, I am especially concerned with Pediatric Cardiology and the information in this article is part of the reason I started our Chapter of It's My Heart - to bring awareness to issues such as these.

Please read!!!!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203674704574336671475911680.html

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I LOVE the new layout! It makes me want to change mine now too, lol. Also, I dont believe I knew you were a family therapist. Glad to know just a little something more about you. :)