Sorry if this post is a bit TMI, but this is my reality as a Mom. I talk about poop now. Clarification: Drew's poop, not my own. What it looks like, how long it's been since it's happened, the volume of it, and the frequency throughout the day and week. I have had lengthy discussions with fellow Moms about this very subject on more than one occasion. My Ped asks about it and wants details at every appointment. It's just part of my regular conversations these days it seems.
Ever since Drew was born, the boy has had problems pooping. My husband is as regular as they come. Me? Not so much. So, when Drew has trouble passing even meconium, it was a little disheartening. I knew the pain of a distended belly and feeling like you've gained 10lbs in the course of a weekend when you've barely ate a thing. The frustration when you've tried everything to help your system function properly and nothing works. We had to use suppositories once on him and I swore I would never do it again. I might have to eat those words.
Why? Because today is Day 3 of "Poop Watch 09." This is the worst it's been in some time. The poor kid could not even sleep last night for a very long time before exhaustion finally took over. Today, we tried some prune juice...and he drank it all...and strained. No poop. If there is still no poop by tonight, it will have to be suppositories. The poor kid needs to go! My staple this summer has been blueberries and ironically enough, our blueberries were finished a couple of days ago and I haven't gotten to the market yet to buy more. At this point, however, it's going to take some cleansing first, then blueberries for maintenance.
So, pray with me. Pray for poop and for relief to come to Drew. Sure, God has bigger things to worry about, but I'm sure he'll take the time to listen to these prayers. ;)
15 years later
1 year ago








5 comments:
I wish I'd read this before going to church this morning-- I'd light a candle for you :) In all seriousness, did you try adult prune juice instead of kids' stuff? I was told by our ped that the adult stuff is a much better diurhetic (sp?) for little ones than the toddler stuff. KUP!
Ug, isn't this the worst? Z has the same issue... we haven't had to resort to sup's yet, but I know we will in the future.
Poor kids. I also know what it feels like & I can only imagine how confused they must feel.
Many prayers for poo coming your way!
Lauren ran into issues and our doctor prescribed a stool softener - lactulose. It took a couple days but it worked. It pulls water into the stool to make it soft enough to pass so you have to keep them well hydrated. Lauren was 9 months old at the time and just starting solids. I think we were on day 4 of waiting. In that time, I realized part of her problem was trying to get the poop past her chubby little butt cheeks when she was sitting (which was all the time). I started putting her on the potty when I saw her straining (yes. At nine months!) and it's kept things clear ever since. It's not for everyone but it works for us.
Fingers crossed you find the right solutions for Drew!
Sometimes, I think part of his issue is sitting on his behind with his chubby little cheeks together. I might have to try that! I ended up having to use a suppository, about 1/2 of a Pedia-Lax, and it worked like a charm...and was not nearly as horrific as it had been when he was an infant. And he went on his own yesterday, a blow out. Today was a no go. We'll see what tomorrow brings after blueberries and yogurt today!
Hope little Drew poops for you. Collin has no problem pooping. Have you tried that over the counter medicine? MiraLax? You can mix it with his milk or juice. It has no taste I have heard.
Post a Comment