Sunday, May 2, 2010

I DID IT!

Today was the day of my 5K Race at Michigan State...

and I DID IT!

I ran nearly 100% of the time (I would say about 95%, more or less), which is a HUGE deal for me. The last 1/4 mile was the most fun, I must say, as we were back on campus, music was blaring and I knew I had nearly completed my goal! The beginning was tough for me because we had to navigate strollers, walkers and runners grouped together. As it went on, we were passing more walkers and runners. I realized about a 1/2 mile into the race that I really should be pacing myself better, but I needed to get around all these people. About 1 mile in, it started to thin out (a bit) and I was able to set a better pace.

We did walk for a bit (maybe a 1/2 mile?), and I think it's because of our quick start. We walked at a pretty good clip though and soon, we were running again. The weather was less than ideal, we had forgotten hats and could barely see at times, but we did it! Coming into the stadium to the MSU fight song and crossing the finish line was AWESOME! I was very proud of myself, which isn't a feeling I get too much.

And, who knows, there may be another 5K in my future sooner, rather than later. We'll just have to see ... ;)

EDIT: My time was 35:05; pace was 11:18; 80th of 186 in my age/gender group

3 comments:

Sasha@ Blyssfulhealth said...

Congrats to you. I used to run many years ago and I can still remember my first 5k race. The feeling of finishing the race is great isn't it? Maybe you will be doing a 10k in your future.:)

Hilda said...

Congrats! You should be proud of yourself more often :) You're a tough girl :)Hugs and kisses to Drew...We miss KinderMusik a lot :(

ALI said...

great job!!! Sounds like a great time for you personally & to share with the family.