Thursday, May 20, 2010

God is GOOD

We had our annual cardio appointment for Drew yesterday.

He is doing AMAZINGLY WELL.

So well, in fact, that she does not want to see our shining faces in her office for at least 18 months!

WHAT?!

Yes, 18-24 months is our target for a return visit. In that time, his heart will grow enough to show us if he is going to have any problems prior to a major growth spurt (ie: puberty), but not enough that it will become an issue in the meantime.

So YAY! ... and ... WHOA!

Am I ready for this? Clearly Drew is...but is Mommy? Am I really able to give up the worrying and fear that has hung around for the past 2 yrs??

The short answer? Yes.

I will always worry...I'm a Mom...it's what we do. But, this allows me to start to breathe easier and be cautiously optimistic that "the worst of it" is truly behind us. How wonderful that would be!

While I thank God for this gift he has given us, I am ever mindful of the families and children/adults for whom this is a daily struggle. The ones who are in and out of the hospital, on transplant lists and praying for the gift of life, those struggling with recovery, those living with pacemakers, on 7 different types of meds daily, using NG or GJ tubes to eat, on oxygen, coming out of surgery on ECMO, having multiple surgeries when they were supposed to have one, saying goodbye to angels gone too soon, ETC, ETC.

We are truly blessed.

And while it might be easy for me to move on and leave this in the past, it's not who I am. I will take this blessing and continue to help others...ever mindful of where we've been and how far we've come. Ever thankful that our journey has led us to this point. Not looking forward in fear, but enjoying the moment.

Praise God.

5 comments:

Wodzisz Family said...

God is GREAT! 18-24 months...WOOHOO!!! That is great news and you are right...enjoy the moment.

Stephanie said...

Wonderful news...smiling with you!

~Stephanie and Braeden(HLHS)

Stefenie said...

Great news!!! Enjoy your break!

Anonymous said...

I am late in commenting on this, but I loved this post. My daughter was born with TAPVR. After 3 eventful years, she is finally stable but I'm not. The Cardiologist said she'd see us again in 6 months because she knew I couldn't go 1 year without some reassurance. I'm trying to let go of my anxiety but it's a work in progress! Praying that things continue to go well for you!

Kristi said...

Congrats on awesome news! Yay for such a long stretch! I am a heart mom (to a very tough, brave 22 month old!) and we won't see our cardio for four months from our last appointment - it is good news, but scares me. I am going to be inspired by your determination to be brave and thankful and do the same over our longest stretch between appointments!

(Found you thru Bab Center)