Tuesday, November 29, 2011

*Facepalm*

That last post was not quite it. I forgot the best piece of news from the last month or so, and since this blog started off as a way to keep friends and family informed about Drew and how he was doing in his journey with CHD, I would be remiss if I didn't post about his latest appointment.

We hadn't been to see his cardiologist since May, 2010. At that appointment, she told us we didn't have to come back for 18 months. Then, when we had Emmett and he had his echo, she seemed surprised by that. But, I digress. We went to his appointment about 2 weeks ago. I was sick to my stomach that whole week in anticipation of it...and yes, it was the same week that E fell down our basement stairs. OF COURSE!

So, we get through all the testing, etc, and his cardiologist comes in. She is asking question after question - to Drew this time - so this part was pretty entertaining, to say the least. Finally, she exams him and then, gives me the news. He is doing wonderfully. His surgeon repaired the PS in such a way that his MPA is staying open, only slightly stenotic (still considered mild). He has his murmur and his left axis deviation still, probably always will, but for now, he is doing amazingly well. His heart is "fabulous." Furthermore, we do not need to go back until November...2013! PRAISE GOD.

Please believe me when I say I do not take this blessing lightly. I know how fortunate we are. We are extraordinarily blessed that a) Drew's CHD was caught when he was young, b) we live where we do with the exemplary pediatric cardiac care our metro area has, c) he was monitored closely, d) his surgeon performed a relatively new technique, allowing more of his own tissue to remain -- thus allowing for his valve to grow with him and continue to stay open. We are beyond blessed. Drew is healthy (outside of what's going around this season -- he's had croup a third time as well, and E currently has it a second time!), active, funny, and most importantly, here.

God is so very good.

2 comments:

Mel said...

Yay for Drew! Yay for you!

Stephanie said...

Hurray! So glad to read the good news, Mary! Praising the Lord with you! :)