Friday, September 16, 2011

On Germs, the Congenital Heart Walk and Preschool

Last Friday, the hubs and I awoke to an eerily familiar sound coming from Drew's room.

In between him crying and yelling, we heard the telltale sounds of croup.

And with that, cold and flu season was officially upon us. And school hadn't started yet even. Awesome.

Drew and I spent 4 glorious hours in the local peds ER, where he charmed the pants off everyone in the joint - including one CNA, who wanted to take him home - and where I had to hide him from the random things you see in an ER that no child should see. A dose of liquid steroid, a breathing treatment and some observation, and we were on our way home - to our beds - at 5:00am.

Poor Drew missed the Congenital Heart Walk on Sunday. As he was contagious still, there was no way I was taking him around children with compromised immune systems. I had several moments of being upset that he was not going to be there. In the end, however, the walk was simply lovely. Emmett and I went to honor Drew, and many members of my family joined us there. It was a beautiful morning, and the walk route was lined with gorgeous older homes. It was perfectly serene and scenic. And another reminder of how blessed I am that Drew is healthy (you know, aside from croup) and doing well.

He WAS well enough, however, to attend his first day of preschool on Tuesday!! My li'l man is in preschool. Where does time go? He was SO excited!! His grandparents bought him a Lightening McQueen backpack that he's just been dying to wear, so he proudly strutted into school with his backpack on and his head held high, ready to start his academic life. I walked behind him in a daze, trying to remember when he got to be so big. We were able to stay for the first hour of class. At one point, Mr. Independent turned to me and said, "you go now Momma, I see you later!" He was ready to be on his own, with his teachers and his friends, knowing I would come back to get him when school was over. I am happy to report that when I picked him up, he ran to the door with a huge grin and hugged me. That warmed my heart. And then, we all went to Red Robin to celebrate with Daddy.

My little family makes me happy. I am blessed in so many ways.

1 comment:

Krista said...

I can't believe they're in preschool! I seriously can't REMEMBER either. Like, the first day, yeah, that I remembered. But now I have to make sure he's ready to go every Tuesday and Thursday?? What??? I am not ready for that responsibility! I swear Wednesday night I barely remembered he had to go in the morning.