Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Day 2 - Thoughts

So, I thought I would periodically blog about how Weight Watchers is going.

Today is Day 2 and so far, so good. I know it's not saying much on Day 2, but I am learning ... A LOT. I have learned that I absentmindedly snack when I give Drew a snack, even if I've just had my own snack, and that I often end up finishing what he doesn't because I can't "waste" food. Yesterday was a real struggle in that area. It was so hard to keep mindful of the fact that I only had X amount of points and needed to save them for my actual meals and not Drew's leftovers! It has been easier (somewhat) today and I am barely starting to do it, thus having to stop myself.

Another struggle for me right now is the fact that I have to calculate points for everything. It's making eating almost like a chore. I have been raised to and have always enjoyed eating, hence my issue. Growing up, however, refusing food was rude. "Not eating enough" drew comments and irritation from my Italian elders. So, I just learned to eat...and I was praised for it. Now, eating isn't so fun, because I am relearning everything. And, like I said, a bit of a chore. I have to log on, check the points, check my points left, record the points. If I want a snack, I have to log on, check my points and see what I can have. Often, it's not what I WANT. And I am learning to be OK with that. I have to plan my meals out like I never have before...I've only planned dinners and now, I have plan breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. I am trying hard to NOT use any weekly allotment points, I want to save those for if I go out to dinner, etc. I refuse to use activity points because I am trying to lose weight, so what's the point??

So, Day 2 is going well. 2 days down, many more to come ...

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Good luck to you. I've done WW before (I'm a lifetime member). It gets to the point where you know what you can and can't have and how many points they are pretty quickly. As far as keeping track, they used to sell these little bracelets with a charm that you could move along as you used up your points. I used that a lot. That, and a little trick that our leader taught us was that 50 calories was about 1 point. I'm following the Gillian McKeith plan right now. Detoxed yesterday which went really well (aside from the two bites of mac and cheese I skimmed off the top when I made it for the boys). The plan is essentially a whole foods plan and I'm hoping it will encourage all of us to eat healthier. Good luck to you! You can do it. And if you ever have any WW questions feel free to ask. I know the plan has probably changed slightly, but at its core, I'm sure it's mostly the same.

Plus, when your kitchen's done it'll be soooo much easier!!

ALI said...

Ugh... Relearning how to eat has been my biggest challenge with learning to manage my IR PCOS. Like you, what I can have is not what I want.

But I am finding, if I plan out our meals & snacks, J is eating better too - as I eat on his schedule.

As for those leftovers, they make great snacks for the doggies. :)

Krista said...

Totally agree with Rachel. Pretty soon you know what everything is worth. Like I know that a Krispy Kreme donut was 4 points but that a piece of chocolate cake was 12. Yeah, those are the ones I remember! Bad, huh?

Also, if you're looking for a good breakfast recipe, I enjoyed the breakfast bulger with pears. It was four points I believe. I would make a batch and it would last four days.