Friday, September 4, 2009

Bring the Rain

As a Christian, I get this question a lot of time from non-believers ...

"How can you believe in a God who allows so much bad to happen in this world?"

I answer

"How can I not?"

The truth is, God is not the reason why bad happens...he gave us all free will, the ability to choose right or wrong. He is a loving God, a forgiving God, who wants us to do right and abide by His laws. But, as any father knows, you cannot MAKE your children behave...they have minds of their own and very strong wills. It's the same with God our Father and us, His children. God has been there for me through all of my darkest moments, and never faults me for questioning Him or His plan. And when I come through to the other side, He is there as well, to share in my joy and acceptance of my blessed life...He accepts me, flaws and all.

The song, "Bring the Rain" by Mercy Me says it best:

I can count a million times
People asking me how I
Can praise You
with all that I've gone through
The question just amazes me
Can circumstances possibly
Change who I forever am in You
Maybe since my life was changed
Long before these rainy days
It's never really ever crossed my mind
To turn my back on you, oh Lord
My only shelter from the storm
But instead I draw closer through these times
So I pray
Bring me joy,
bring me peace
Bring the chance to be free
Bring me anything that brings You glory
And I know there'll be days
When this life brings me pain
But if that's what it takes to praise You
Jesus, bring the rain
I am yours regardless of the clouds that may
loom above because you are much greater than
my pain you who made a way for me suffering
your destiny so tell me whats a little rain
Bring me joy,
bring me peace
Bring the chance to be free
Bring me anything that brings You glory
And I know there'll be days
When this life brings me pain
But if that's what it takes to praise You
Jesus, bring the rain

5 comments:

Confessions From A Work-At-Home Mom said...

Beautiful. You know, I follow a blog called "Bring The Rain", but I never really understood where she got the name from. Now it makes perfect sense.

Bill and Mary said...

You and I follow a lot of the same blogs... :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, hope you don't mind but i've added your Blog to Aiden's site.

Bill and Mary said...

Levi, of course I don't mind! I haven't check the board in a few days, but I hope little Aiden is doing well!

Anonymous said...

Nice sentiments. It isn't easy being Christian and keeping our faith, especially through trying times. But, God never promised it would be easy; just that He would be faithful. Makes me think of that poem, "Footprints". God is always there with us; we just need to turn to Him and trust Him. Honestly, I dont' know how people without faith get through the tough times. I am thankful for my faith, even though sometimes I do question why things happen and I get angry, sad, frustrated, etc. But, that is part of being human and God understands. After all, Jesus was human too and look at all of the really bad things that He had to endure! I figure if He, being God, could subject Himself to such ridicule and torture for our sakes, then He'll be there for me no matter what I have to go through and, eventually, I'll come through to the other side with a bit more understanding and probably a stronger faith! God doesn't abandon us; it is often us who abandon Him.