Thursday, July 14, 2011

Lasagna - It's What's For Dinner

So, my friend, Krista, of Thar She Sews requested that I do some blog posts about the meals I am making.

Well, Krista, ask and you shall receive.

Tonight I made The Best Vegetable Lasagna from Kath Eats Real Food. And the verdict is ...

Delicious!

For those of you who know me well, you know that mine is a love-hate relationship with vegetables --- in that I can't stand most of the vegetables that are good for me, but I want to eat them because I know they are needed in my diet. And thus, I am always looking for different ways to get vegetables into my diet. Let's be honest here, I bought "Deceptively Delicious" as much for myself as my kids. And still, there are some things (like broccoli) that I will not touch.

I digress. Back to the recipe.

You will see the suggested vegetables are spinach, carrots, sun dried tomatoes and zucchini. Since I like all of these, I stuck with her recommendation. I did change up the sauce, however, as I've been on a Ragu kick as of late. Why? Because there are 2 servings of vegetables in each 1/2 cup, so I like to think I am being all healthy eating this sauce in my once weekly pasta meal. (Yes, I'm a terrible Italian eating Ragu, but I haven't had time to make my own sauce in awhile. *shame*) It also calls for cottage cheese instead of ricotta cheese, which made me skeptical, but I really enjoyed it. Anyway, back to the vegetables - I recommend grating the zucchini and carrots. I found I could get more of each into the lasagna by doing this. I also put 2 cups of spinach in, instead of one. The only thing I didn't do, because I didn't think it would be an issue, was cut up the sun dried tomatoes. I would definitely recommend that! They were hard to eat, and Drew nearly gagged on them. So, that was a bit of a fail.

All in all, this is definitely something I would make again. If you make it, be sure to post and tell me what you think!

Bon Appetite!

No comments: