It would appear that there is an explanation behind my recent weight gain. There is a culprit. My thyroid is underactive, a condition known as hypothyroidism. It can cause a whole host of issues, and when I started doing my homework and checking off my symptoms, I was shocked to see that I had many of them. So, what to do? Well, for at least the forseeable future, I am taking 75 mcg of Synthroid, a thyroid hormone, to get my levels under control. I will be closely monitored to ensure that this medication does what it is supposed to do. Sounds easy enough, right? And it is. But, taking it is a total PITA. I have to wake up at 5:30 in the morning to avoid "interactions" that would prohibit proper absorption of the hormone. So, this ensures I have at least one hour between taking it and eating something (actually, it's about 2 hrs), I take it with water (and a lot of it), and I can drink milk when I wake up too. Apparently, food, calcium and iron all interfere with absorption, so I am now taking my multivitamin at night. I am fortunate, as I have not had any bad side effects to the medication.
This is not the end of the story though. I am still following the Weight Watchers program and ensuring I have a balanced, healthy, nutritious diet. But, I can at least know I am not just becoming fat for little or no reason. It was seriously frustrating...I was more active and not losing weight, in fact, I was gaining it. So, now I have some work ahead of me to lose that weight, but I have confidence that, by getting my thyroid functioning properly and continuing to eat well and work out, I can do it.
There's some positivity for you! Something I've been missing for just a little while...
15 years later
1 year ago








4 comments:
Glad you finally have some answers Mary! Saying lots of prayers that things will now turn a corner for you and you can see some positive results of your hard work!
I'm so glad they found this for you!!! And I'm happy to share, that it has taken since Dec 2008 to get my meds combined with my diet right to really start seeing the IR PCOS pounds come off, but I am seeing it... Finally buying smaller work clothes it going so well... And I'm certain you will find the same results...
Hugs!
Mary, I'm sorry to hear about your thyroid. But of course I'm happy that you found out about it before it could get worse, and at least now you have an explanation on many things that have been happening with your body. I pray that the medication works well and gets your thyroid under control.
I also wanted to let you know that I LOVE the new photos that you put up on your blog of you, of Bill, and of Drew. You all look GREAT!
I too have hypothyrodism! It was somewhat of a relief to finally figure it out. I have requested tests for it for years and none came back positive until last year. I found out that a lot of people go undiagnosed. Talk about frustrating! I am on synthroid also and still find losing weight very difficult!
Post a Comment